Real Estate ● Technology ● Investing
I recently did this speech at my Toastmasters club. Some of the information contained was found in various articles on the internet.
A positive attitude is the key to success in all areas of your life
“Ability is what you’re capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz
My great attitude has been the driving force that has helped me move forward successfully in my business and more importantly in my relationships with my husband, our children and with other family and friends. As a real estate professional I have failed many more times than I have succeeded.
Your great attitude has many benefits beyond helping you achieve success. Studies have shown that a positive attitude, positive thinking, and optimism also have health benefits. People with a positive attitude live longer, they’re healthier and happier.
Harvard Business School conducted a study which reported the 4 key elements for success.
Experience, knowledge and intelligence comprised only 6% of the elements of success while attitude was found to be 93%. “Mental attitude is more important than mental capacity.” Walter Dill Scott
To be successful you will have setbacks but you will never succeed unless you try and fail many times. Your positive attitude will be the motivator that keeps you going. A truly successful person is one who can keep getting back up and trying again and again.
Understand that success is progress, not perfection and your success is a journey, not a destination.
Even if you have been a pessimistic, negative thinker for many years, it’s not too late to change. You are in control of your thoughts. A pessimistic way of thinking is habit; habits can be changed.
Here are some tips to help you stay positive in a sometimes negative world:
1. Expect to win and expect the best. When starting any plan or action, visualize clearly in your mind its successful outcome. Your expectation of an outcome can have a tremendous impact on the outcome itself.
2. Commit to learning for life. Read, take classes, listen to books on tape but never stop learning.
3. Don’t go looking for bad news. Minimize watching the evening news, especially right before you go to bed or get up in the morning. It will affect your dreams or set the tone for your day. Instead, before you go to sleep and when you wake up in the morning meditate, read something informational or inspirational. I like to get up before everyone else in my house in the morning, walk around my garden and prune my roses. It’s peaceful and I always have fresh flowers in my home so it’s a great way to start my day. Before going to bed I read to my children, I love the time spent together and it always improves my attitude.
4. Remove the negative influences from your life. This included people and circumstances. I spent years getting upset over one negative family member in particular (who shall remain nameless) and I finally realized this negative person would never change no matter how much I tried to please him/her so I eliminated that person. Since it’s a family member I still see that person from time to time but that person is no longer a dominate source of aggravation in my life.
5. Associate yourself with people who think positively. Aside from my friends and immediate family, I find most of these people in my networking groups and clubs like Toastmasters.
6. Change your language to reflect your positive attitude. Think of the little engine that could, I think I can…
7. Enjoy physical activity, go for a walk, and go to the gym. Even moderate activity helps to develop a more positive attitude.
Positive thinking is contagious. People around you pick up on your positive attitude and most will be affected accordingly. When you wake up in the morning and all throughout the day you only have 2 ways to think: 1.) Positive OR 2.) Negative. You will never be: Happy, Successful, A Good Spouse, A Good Parent, you will never be The Person You Want to Be Unless you develop a positive attitude. Period.
Practice some of the positive thinking tips and start enjoying a happier, healthier and more successful life!